Midas Capital was founded by Josh Kopelman to manage his personal private equity investments.
In 2004 Josh founded First Round Capital, a seed stage venture fund, and is no longer making new investments through Midas Capital.
Midas Capital has investments in a variety of emerging growth companies. The portfolio has a strong emphasis on high-technology companies and includes:
- Adchemy - A next-generation online marketing company that applies highly scientific, algorithmic approaches to diect marketing.
- Bioscale - Provides instruments and biochips (disposable) for nano-scale detection of cells and proteins.
- Boomi - Markets an integration platform designed to significantly reduce the time and cost associated with enterprise and eCommerce integration projects
- Buzz Marketing - An alternative advertising agency
- Del.icio.us - A social bookmarks manager that allows you share your bookmarks not only between your own browsers and machines, but also with others. (Sold to Yahoo in December 2005)
- Dragnet Solutions - Currently in stealth mode
- e-Touch - Innovative web and kiosk-based self-service ordering systems for the food-service industry (Sold to InfoGenesis/Warburg Pincus in August 2005)
- engage.com - The world's first online relationship service where people help each other find love. Computers are great, but when it comes to matchmaking, people are much better at doing the job.
- EVDB - Creator of Eventful.com, a collaborative, searchable database and web services platform for event and venue data worldwide
- First Flavor, Inc. - Currently in stealth mode
- Feedster - A rapidly growing search engine for blogs and online content published using RSS
- Five Below - A new retail concept positioned to become the leading extreme-value retailer to the teen market
- Flock - Introducing the world's most innovative social browsing experience.
- InstaMed Communications - InstaMed is a real-time gateway and processor of healthcare and financial transactions offering products and services that integrate into existing systems and workflow for real-time, direct connectivity to payers and banks.
- IronPort Systems - The leading email security provider for organizations ranging from small businesses to the Global 2000. (Sold to Cisco in January 2007)
- Koolspan - Developer of an easy-to-install and operate, network and device independent, approach to user authentication, network security and remote access for users of wired and wireless networks
- Kubi Software - Creator of a new class of business software called Collaborative Email. (Sold to Pragmatech Software in September 2006)
- LinkedIn - The leading provider of private and effective networking tools used by over 4 million professionals across the globe
- LiveOps - The nation's largest domestic outsourced call center making exclusive use of home-based operators (agents).
- Magic Works LLC - High speed trading technology for the financial markets.
- Majestic Research - An independent research company leveraging proprietary industry data sources to generate fresh insights for institutional investors.
- MerchantCircle - Helps small enterprises build strong relationships with local customers.
- Metaphor Technologies - Provides speech recognition solutions to automate customer service offering the largest selection of packaged speech soutions in the industry
- New.net - An established developer of Internet search services, products and domain-registry solutions (Sold to Vendare Media in September 2004)
- Partsearch - A Master Parts Catalog and supply chain provide access to over 7,000,000 parts and accessories
- RealTravel - The best place for real people to share travel advice and experiences.
- Restricted Stock Systems - A leading provider of restricted and control stock management solutions for reporting corporate insider transactions. (Sold to Computershare in October 2007)
- TrustedID - The first provider of third-generation solutions for consumer and business identity verification that proactively prevents identity theft.
- TerraPass - Kyoto for consumers.
- TurnTide - Inventor of the world's first anti-spam router (Sold to Symantec in July 2004)
- Vamoose - Develops customized, subject specific web-crawlers enabling the creation of specialized searchable databases (Sold to Internet Brands in August 2005)
- Zero G - The only space entertainment and tourism company approved by the FAA to conduct Weightless Flights for the public
Josh also is the Managing Director of First Round Capital, a seed stage fund and Trustee of the Kopelman Foundation.
Some background on Josh Kopelman here.